Come read the (in)sane ramblings of a 20-something who has nothing better to do than (in)sanely ramble! There's also stuff about hermit crabs.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Saint Melz (aka Medelz, aka Dee, aka Demelza)



Well… what a weekend! I didn’t do much, for once. In fact, the whole point of this post is to shower my sister Melz with glowing praise for havin’ spoilt me over the two glorious days that were the fourth and fifth of February 2006.

To begin with, on Friday night she left the entire house to me while she went on a date! (Sorry Melz, I just had to let the whole world know… well everyone who reads this anyway.) That was great ‘cause I had full run of the internet (you’re asking… when don’t I?).

Saturday she cooked me pancakes with peaches, bananas and cream (sorry… no pics of those) for brunch, and we did our usual Saturday mornin’ bludge/bondin’ sesh (ie sit in front of TV watchin’ Rage). Then she drove me to Tennis and for all I knew returned to her little fanfic obsession on the innernet. Meanwhile I was slogging my arse off at tennis (lost 6-4 in the mixed, 7-5 in first ladies and won 7-6 in second ladies) thinking she’d be on the comp all day while the house festered. Alas, I was in for a pleasant surprise!

After the game I went back to the club, had a few drinks and played some pool with Leah and the boys. Later on Melz picked me up, all spry and chipper with a fresh carload full of shopping. She refused to tell me what she’d bought (knowing I would berate her for wasting her money). Anyway we got home and she was all excited (I swear, she should go on dates more often!). She’d cleaned the entire house (bar my room of course) and the courtyard, which I officially categorised as her job considering most of the mess is left by plants that she brings home from work looking all nice and shiny and within a few weeks are all grosse and corpsified.

But that’s not the end of it. To top it off she had organised ‘entrée’ in the courtyard, which included a platter of fresh grapes, Brie (another of those addictions of mine), salami (yet another), marinated octopus, Turkish bread and a glass of white… delish!



I had to make her wait about two hours before cooking the main, which was superb by the way (I may run out of adjectives by the end of this post). Now, I’m not usually a big fish person (because I’m too lazy to pick out the bones), but since livin’ with Melz I eat it more often, plus it’s a great source of protein and bla, bla – all that neat healthy stuff. The official title of the meal was ‘steamed Ocean Trout on a bed of hommus topped with rocket and homemade salsa!’ (Taste buds droolin’ much?) It was… well, like I said… I’ve run out of words. In a nutshell – yum! (Later, if youse are nice and comment, I might add the recipe! Manipulative little so and so ain’t I?)


On Sunday, Saint Melz and some of her crew took some ladies from Legacy (I think that’s a war widow’s society or something) out on the Yacht as part of a volunteer thing that the club had arranged. That took most of the mornin’. It was a beautiful day for it, not that I saw much, as I was holed up in my room writing stories and prolly chattin’ on MSN. After she returned, however, she sunbaked for a while and then proceeded to convince me that I should go to the pub with her and some of the crew from The Bookmaker (the yacht she sails on.)

Now, I’m not usually a big ‘goin’ out to the pub’ person either, but since livin’ with Melz… yarda, yarda – you get the picture. And she is very good at convincing people to do what she wants them to do (just ask her work colleagues). Actually, she bribed me! She agreed to review (read – tear to shreds) one of my drafts if I went out with her. So, like the sucker I am, I went along. Turned out, as it usually does, to be quite a fun afternoon. It was such a beautiful warm day, the beer went down waaaayy too easily, and the company was incredibly drunk and hence, hilarious.

My only regret was that a mild case of fuzzy beer head (read – typsiness) caused me to forget how effective the sun’s rays can be at 3pm on a February afternoon. However, aside from looking like an idiot (my purpose in life), I had a great time and I have to thank Melz for that, because without her cajoling I would have stayed in the house, banging my head against the computer screen screaming ‘I unclog my nose in your general direction, you son of a window dresser!’ and other obscenities.

Over the course of the arvo we went to two different pubs, Tim’s house for a BBQ and back to the pub to listen to a band. We also ‘celebrity spotted’ Magda Szubanski at ‘The Barking Dog’, which was pretty thrilling. And we got to see Murray (the pet Murray Cod). I was disappointed that I missed Murray’s feeding sesh tho, but aw hell – there’s always the Discovery Channel (only we don’t have PayTV – thank the ominous being overhead).

In the evening the two of us walked back to Melz’s car, which was parked at the first pub, and drove home to our nice, clean house. My saint of a sister then fulfilled her part of the bargain and edited my incredibly slow, dull story while I dozed in bed with a face cloth over by sunburnt forehead! Ya gotta love her! I do.


To finish off, I just wanna add that this coming wkend is gonna be mega. The whole fam is comin' to Geelong to celebrate Saint Melz's b'day (which is actually the day after Saint Valentine's day). She is havin' a big ole' BBQ at the Yacht Club on Saturday. Damian is even flyin' in for the occasion and hopefully Simon will be there too. Lookin' forward to it, no doubt there will be plenty to blog about next week!

PS - Excuse my photography, it doesn't do the meal, or Melz, any justice!

Nighters.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soo not only do i get bagged i get sacked too!
and here i was gonna send you an entry form for comp worth $4000!

sheesh nobody bothered to write blogs about or cannonise me when i slaved over a vacumn cleaner, text books, draft copies and hot stove to feed the body and souls of aspiring young authors, accountants, gp'sants and plant police!

and where has the grammar nazi been - hiding behind a damp facewasher perhaps? perhaps it should look into accessories of that special investigation ?

6:35 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well next time you get annoyed with Melz, and need some time away from her feel free to send her over my way, she is welcome to come and cook for me!!!

So thats how you got the sunburn, and the reason for the positioning of your mind in the gutter (loking up at RDA) when we chatted last weekend.

1:33 am

 
Blogger Rhian said...

To Mamma Cat:

Aren't we the green eyed monster?

You haven't been sacked! I only send you the good stuff. This 'story' is basically written for Melz, so that's why she gets to edit it. Besides, you wouldn't get it. It's about Stargate. Trust me, I'll always send you the ever intelligent (and droll) meaning of life stuff. She'd read two words of that and fall asleep!

Aside from the fact that the internet barely existed when you were slaving away, how do you know nobody ever wrote stuff (nice stuff) about you? Or, maybe words don't suffice when it comes to your sacrifice.

Have I redeemed myself now?

PS - if it makes you feel any better, Melz hasn't even read the post... just shows how much she really cares!

Invisible Girl: You can't have my cook! :D Hands off!

Oh, and I don't need much of a reason to slosh around in the gutter! But, yes, the alcohol probably accentuated my derdy mind. :)

PS - thanks for the Mastercard ad!

11:22 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it has taken me ages and ages to actually get access to the computer so I can leave a post. Luckily too cause I just can't handle too much of the compliments stuff! But thanks anyway lil sis I love ya too :)

Mum's right though we never do thank her enough. Especially now when you think how much bloody work it takes and how fantastic we all turned out (I'm not being superior just honest).

7:54 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great pic of Demelza, iv'e now got it on my wall paper! wonder who this could be.....

8:53 pm

 
Blogger Rhian said...

Hey Mat!

It was pretty hard to guess who the comment came from...

Good to see you on the blog! Come back again soon... I promise I'll post even HOTTER pics of Melz! :)

Cheers

10:13 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home