Come read the (in)sane ramblings of a 20-something who has nothing better to do than (in)sanely ramble! There's also stuff about hermit crabs.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Ch...Ch...Ch…Ch…Ch…Changes!

Seeing the house in Cobram on our recent trip home and talking with Melanie last night about life and decisions etc has got me thinking about the concept of change. There have been a lot of (good) changes happening in my life in the last 12 months and I wanted to write somethin’ clever about the whole concept - how we feel about it, how we make it happen and I guess how we deal with it.

However, the clever genes have escaped me tonight (it could be the lack of sleep over the weekend, or it could be that I never had ‘em). So… to cut a long story short I went surfing for some inspiration and found some interesting quotes.

I hope these words give you a laugh, or enlighten you, or puzzle you or whatever. In the meantime, I’d love to hear about your personal experiences/opinions of change.

There is nothing permanent except change.
- Heraclitus (I don't know if that's spelt right!)

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
- Mahatma Gandhi

You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.
- Brian Tracy

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
- Maya Angelou

If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we are not really living.
- Gail Sheehy

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
- Charles Darwin

A woman marries a man thinking she can change him, but she can't. A man marries a woman thinking she will never change, but she does.
- Anonymous

There's moments in your life that make you that set the course for who you're gonna be. Sometimes they're little subtle moments. Sometimes they're not. Bottom line is even when you see them coming you're not ready for the big moments. Nobody asks for their life to change. Not really, but it does. So what are we, helpless? Puppets? No, the big moments are gonna come. You can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. Thats when you find out who you are.
- Anonymous


PS: You’ll have to forgive the fact that I don’t know who some of these people are - if you’re interested in what they have to say just Google them!

6 Comments:

Blogger Vicky said...

Who is this anonymous? I like his/hers ideas and wish to subscribe to their newsletter...
:-)

6:03 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That second last comment is from Angel. Its what Whistler says to Angel. I thought that it was familar so I looked it up. Or if you want to get really technical then Joss originally said it.

2:36 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry i meant the last quote, not the second last one. I have no idea who said the second last one, although i have heard it before.

2:38 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life is full of changes - predetermined and/or accidental, it is the way you cope/handle with the changes that determines their effect.

time is another factor in the impact of changes - what may seem disastrous here and now may one day be looked on as a blessing or "character building"!

6:50 pm

 
Blogger D. said...

I don't particular like the fact that some of the quotes intone the idea that all change is good change... some changes are not for the best.

But I do agree with the idea that it is what you do after that makes you who you are.

6:33 pm

 
Blogger Rhian said...

SBSIL - Well you could google anon to find out who they were, if you wanted to... but I don't think you'd get very far!! :)

Hey PJ! - I can't believe I included a Joss quote without even knowing! I just thought it was cool. How very coincedental.

Damian - you're right, not all changes are good, but as Mama Cat and most of the quotes implied - it's our job to make the change into something good.

Gotta run, keep up the discussion ppl's!

9:04 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home