Come read the (in)sane ramblings of a 20-something who has nothing better to do than (in)sanely ramble! There's also stuff about hermit crabs.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Go Team!

We made it to the Prelims! Last week we played in the Semi finals against Clifton Springs. We bet them in the first round and they bet us in the second round, so we were even. It turned out to be a pretty close day, but Newcomb ended up winning by nine games.

So, yesterday we played Grovedale, the losers of the other Semi. They ended up second on the ladder for the season (we ended up third). We had only played them in one round throughout the year, ‘cause the second round got washed out. It was a little bit weird, ‘cause we hadn’t faced them since right in the beginning of the season.

I was very nervous at the start of the mixed, and it didn’t help that the opposing boy was really good. Luckily, Peter and I were better! We won 6-4. It was so good to have that first set as a victory, ‘cause it gave us confidence for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, we lost by three games in the end. It was so close, and the guys had a really tough battle, as Grovedale’s men were pretty strong. Us girls, however, did a super job and nailed all of our sets! We were pretty pleased with that. It was a good day of tennis and I think we did well to get where we did, considering we were missin’ two of our star players due to injuries and overseas travel! We were thinkin’ of ya Tan!

The downfall is, next week we have to umpire the grand final! Wish us luck…

After that my Saturdays will be freed up – although I’m sure that won’t last long, what with duties and other commitments. Now I just have to find some other form of physical exercise to do so I don’t turn into a blob over the next month and a bit. At least my elbow will get a little rest (apart from slicing salami at work). Hopefully, I’ll be able to get some more volleyball action with Laura’s team – The Caterpillars! I played for them last Tuesday and it was loads of fun. I will miss my tennis - bring on Winter comp!


Sorry there's no pic, I keep forgetting to get a team shot! Besides, you guys wouldn't wanna see me in my shorts... and that ratty hat!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a few laps arouond the gardens with demelza will soon fix that, and seeing as how you're in the mood for dancing (or was it boot scooting?) you could always take up pole dancing!

Volleyball?Caterpillars? I hope that is a bit of sports psychology used against the opposition who, expecting the team to be sluggish, are stunned to see them metapmorphasise (thatsa a big word to type when your tired and had a red or two!)into butterflies who flit all over the court, digging in unremorsefully and delivering spikes that renders them (the opposition, we hope!) legless.

7:36 pm

 
Blogger Rhian said...

I don't run. It's just a rule I have. No running.

Pole dancing? Oh yeah... that's me all over! The sparkly G's, the plastic boobs, the fake nails, the glittery eyelashes and the gymnastics! So me...

No sports psychology - we're just slow! Wobbly and slow.

10:40 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home