Come read the (in)sane ramblings of a 20-something who has nothing better to do than (in)sanely ramble! There's also stuff about hermit crabs.

Monday, August 21, 2006

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS

As technology and transport have advanced it has become easier for us to access info and experience other worlds and cultures. People used to view overseas travel as a once in a lifetime opportunity – just look at the reasons some of Australia’s young men during WWI and WWII joined the fight in the first place.

Now overseas travel is factored into the “great Australian dream” – finish school, go to Uni or get a job or travel, build a career, travel, buy a home, get married, have a family, travel, retire, travel etc. Even family holidays have been extended from the annual trip to Qld to the annual trip to Bali or Fiji.

So, what I want to know is – why do we travel? Initially, and still to some extent, I think people travelled not only for the recreation but also to experience different ways of living. Now, because it’s becoming easier, “everyone” is doing it. My thoughts are that the reason some people travel overseas these days is to “keep up with the Jones’”. It is becoming a status thing.

Another reason some of us travel is to find the “answers”. The knowledge, awareness and experience that we gain from travel probably do provide the tools with which we can try and figure out those answers, but I’ve come to realise we won’t ever find the answers. We need to make peace with that fact.

Despite this revelation however, I’ve also decided that a) the answers are inside of us, b) if a) is true then we don’t need to travel, we can search within ourselves at any time, in any place. I know it sounds like I’ve found God, or Buddha or somethin’, but actually making this conclusion didn’t come as easy as getting’ dunked in holy water or shaving my head and chanting.

But back to the main topic – why do we travel? Come on guys, I wanna hear what you have to say ‘bout this. I know you all get around a bit, so let me know what you think.

6 Comments:

Blogger Vicky said...

Most of the time when I travel it's to visit people, if people didn't live so damn far from me I wouldn't have to travel as much.
:-) Otherwise I think maybe people travel to seek adventure and perhaps to find a sense of belonging or a place they truly feel at home... just because you were born somewhere doesn't mean that is your true home. Sometimes when you travel to a certain place it is as if you have come "home" - not that I am talking from experience or anything... and I seem to have give a semi-sensible answer for once, I blame the Diet Coke, I wanted ordinary Coke but I keyed in the wrong number. Grrrr.

11:56 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He Rhian babe -
This is our travelling philosophy.

Im gettin bugged driving up and down the same old strip
I gotta finda new place where the kids are hip

My buddies and me are getting real well known
Yeah, the bad guys know us and they leave us alone

I get around
Get around round round I get around
From town to town
Get around round round I get around
Im a real cool head
Get around round round I get around
Im makin real good bread
Get around round round I get around
I get around
Round
Get around round round oooo
Wah wa ooo
Wah wa ooo
Wah wa ooo

We always take my car cause its never been beat
And weve never missed yet with the girls we meet

None of the guys go steady cause it wouldnt be right
To leave their best girl home now on saturday night

I get around
Get around round round I get around
From town to town
Get around round round I get around
Im a real cool head
Get around round round I get around
Im makin real good bread
Get around round round I get around
I get around
Round
Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah

11:41 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I travel becuase I love to experience different cultures and I am curious about places that I hear about.

I would love to visit every continent and then i can focus on visiting every country.
It doesn't matter where I go, I just love to travel.

It doesn't matter if I am travelling around Australia, overseas or diving on some remote island, I just love to travel.

I love the excitment of a new destination and the feeling of coming home at the end of it. I think that I love the adventure, the potential to have new experiences and meet new and different people.

Well I hope that helps answer why I love to travel.

9:58 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo sister Rian,

sometimes family have to re-unite, it could be from all parts of the globe.

We look for answers that we cant find where we are or where we are going, so we seek where others have been.

The worlds all so different, traveling makes the mind more wiser, also allowing you to escape the daily pressures of life.

The best part of travel is really appreciating comming home, knowing that this country has it all.

10:37 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

Just a quick note to let you guys that I'm planning to retire the "Real London Dairies" soon since no-one is actually visiting it.

Lexi

9:50 pm

 
Blogger D. said...

Variety is the spice of life.

Travel to me is about opportunity and adventure, you just never know whats going to happen. However, it doesn't have to be overseas or to another culture... I try to 'travel' every weekend, even if its to the beach, the harbour or the (non-local) pub... Its about getting outside your comfort zone and exposing yourself to unknown possibilities.

10:47 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home